Jacksonville Homeowner Suffers Kitchen Fire
A Jacksonville homeowner was cooking with oil when he started a grease fire in the kitchen. Cooking and cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest was called in to do the restoration after the fire.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. That was the case with this job; soot traveled behind the cabinets through the wall cavity, causing odor throughout the home. SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest had to remove cabinets to get to the soot. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action. Here demolition was necessary to get rid of the pervasive odor caused by soot in wall cavities. The vinyl floor also had to be removed because the homeowner had dropped the burning skillet and oil onto the floor—literally melting the material.
Another factor in the overall damage involved the air handler. The A/C picked up the smoke and soot and blew it throughout the house. Ductwork had to be cleaned in all of the rooms, as well as the air handler and contents.
Our Restore vs. Replace Philosophy
In this case, some demolition was required but when we can we restore rather than replace. Why? Because restoring the affected areas of your property is substantially less costly than demolishing and replacing those areas. This “restore first” mentality also allows us to get your home or business back to pre-fire condition quicker and with less disruption.