Recent Fire Damage Posts

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

9/26/2023 (Permalink)

Carbon monoxide detector Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide is known as the 'silent killer”. It puts your health at risk and can also pose a fire risk causing significant damage to your home.
 SERVPRO® Provides fire damage cleaning services and reconstruction that can remove soot, and smoke odors from your property. Our highly trained technicians respond to an emergency within a few hours.
Carbon monoxide is a type of gas produced when fuel such as wood, gas, oil, kerosene, and charcoal burns. If you don't have the appropriate ventilation or correct fuel, the carbon monoxide can get trapped in your home and build up overtime.
There are several sources of carbon monoxide you need to be aware of to help you avoid any health or fire hazards: fireplaces, chimneys, grills etc.
Because it is an invisible, odorless gas, it is undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector. Here are the signs of carbon monoxide present in your home:
Soot stains on or around gas appliances
Pilot lights that go out often
Increased condensation
Rust or soot staining in a chimney
What are the risks of carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is seriously harmful to your health, and can lead to death if not addressed quickly.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

dizziness, feeling or
being sick
feeling weak
chest and muscle pain
shortness of breath
Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors. Should a fire affect your home or business, call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest for your restoration and reconstruction needs.

Practice Firework Safety in Jacksonville this New Year

12/30/2021 (Permalink)

Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission

Ring in the New Year safely this year. Remember, fireworks can be dangerous, causing serious burn and eye injuries. Follow these safety tips when using fireworks: 

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
  • Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
  • Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
  • Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
  • After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
  • Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.

We at SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest wish you a safe and Happy New Year! 

Cooking Safety Over the Holidays

12/21/2021 (Permalink)

roasted turkey with vegetables We at SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest wish you safe and happy holidays!

Source: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)

The holidays are a peak time for home cooking fires. Observing the following tips will help make sure you stay safe from fires over the holidays.

  • Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
  • Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
  • Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
  • Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
  • Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
  • Keep knives out of the reach of children.
  • Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
  • Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
  • Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.

Precautions for Fire Safety

10/21/2021 (Permalink)

pot on stove on fire Most home fires are caused by unattended cooking.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, in the U.S., we have an average of 353,100 house fires a year. A house fire can be one of the most damaging, and difficult situations to recover from. It not only carries the physical implications of a damaged building structure but also the emotional strain of losing cherished belongings. For us at SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest, restoring hope is just as important as restoring your property. If we can help it, we would rather that you don’t experience these losses altogether. Here are some tips to prevent the top causes of a house fire.


Smoking is the number one cause of home fire deaths in the U.S. If you smoke, it is best to do so outside. A cigarette should be completely put out before going to bed, and never smoke in bed. And always keep smoking materials away from kids.

Electrical fire

The leading causes of electrical fires in a home are old appliances and faulty electrical outlets. Regularly inspect the electrical cords from your appliances, and never alter the prongs on a plug. Avoid having electrical cords ran underneath a carpet and when you are unplugging a cord, be sure to hold the plug securely and not the cord. Unplugging a cord from a wall by pulling the cord can cause it to fray and possibly lead to a fire.


Cooking fires are the leading types of home fires in the U.S.. Most often these fires are caused by unattended cooking. Be sure to never leave food while the source of heat is still active. Be aware of combustible material, and keep it away from anything cooking. Double-check ovens and stovetops once cooking is done to ensure they are turned off.

If you have experienced fire damage, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 904.256.4894. We have the experience and expertise to fully restore your property and belongings.

Fire Facts for Jacksonville Residents

10/1/2021 (Permalink)

firefighters on a roof with flames billowing out of it Most home fire deaths are in homes with no working smoke alarms.

October is Fire Prevention month and it’s a perfect time talk with your whole family about fire safety – including testing alarms, changing the batteries or upgrading to 10-year sealed battery alarms, how to use a fire extinguisher, and escape route planning.

Did You Know?

  • 3 of every 5 home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no working smoke alarms
  • Less than 50% of homeowners have an escape plan
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) is the #1 cause of accidental death
  • 60% of consumers do not test their smoke and CO alarms monthly
  • Only 47% of people report having CO alarms in their home
  • Just 43% of homeowners have an escape plan
  • Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of home fires

Are You Ready at Home?

Take time this month to address these topics with your family and make the needed safety plans.

If you do suffer fire-related damage, please call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest at 904.256.4894. We’ll get there fast and restore your home back to normal.