SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest Can Help With Commercial Property Damages and Maintenance
Preventative maintenance is one of the most important steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of structural damage at your commercial property. Whether lessening the risk of water, fire, or mold damages, there are strategies that can be employed:
- Periodically check plumbing and fixtures for broken or cracked gaskets or seals and/or small leaks. The sooner you catch an issue and repair it, the less likely your small leak will become a catastrophe.
- Maintain landscaping around your property. Debris in drainage ditches, overgrown weeds, or clogged storm drains can result it rainwater backing up and flooding your property. Maintaining the exterior of the property reduces this risk, especially if heavy rains are in the forecast.
- Roof Maintenance! Damaged roofs provide not only the perfect entry point for storm water to flow into your building but can also allow moisture to become trapped in ceilings and attics, increasing the likelihood of mold growth.
- Have a licensed electrician check wiring in the building. Especially in older properties, faulty wiring is a common source of commercial fire damage.
- If your building is equipped with a fire suppression system, make sure it is in working order. If not, be sure to have plenty of in-date fire extinguishers located throughout the property, so that in case of fire, a small issue has less opportunity to become a large disaster.
- Properly store and label any combustible or hazardous materials, such as gasoline, diesel, or chemicals. Improperly stored hazardous materials can provide an ignition source and make putting out the fire more dangerous and difficult.
- Reduce moisture within the building by running a dehumidifier. Especially in the more humid climate of Northern Florida, eliminating as much moisture as possible within the business can reduce the potential for mold growth.
- If you see signs of water intrusion, such as staining or puddling, identify the source, fix it, and dry the area as soon as possible! With porous materials, such as drywall, it only takes a minimal amount of moisture to create the conditions for microbial growth, and growth can begin in as little as 24-48 hours.
- Have your HVAC/Duct Work cleaned regularly. This provides better air quality for the property and reduces the circulation of contaminants. If you have confirmed a mold issue at your business, do NOT run the HVAC system, as this could circulate the mold spores and widen the spread.
When it comes to maintaining your commercial property, know that SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest is Here to Help. Our team of professionals is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for emergency damages. Serving Jacksonville, Callahan, Yulee, and surrounding communities, we have the equipment, expertise, and experience to handle damages of all sizes!